Friday, November 23, 2012

Allegory of the Cave Sonnet


Having ever been so captivated by such a sight
The light, oh most precious warmth in which to bask
With everlasting glow caressing figures in the night
As they gambol across canvases wearing but one mask
The mask of a thousand shapes so as to captivate us all
Brings about tranquility, immobilizing movement
Spreading warmth in our bellies, allowing us to fall
Into the depths of our oceans, which shows the containment
Of our captivation with displayed knowledge on the wall
Shooing out the fear towards the unkown path of discomfort
For the bliss of our ignorance is greater than them all
That there is nothing to know outside in that world of hurt
And captivated by this light I am never alone
Thus forever, that I shall never leave my comfort zone

Writing a sonnet is hard. This took me longer than I wanted it  take to but I'm pretty satisfied with it. This is through the eyes of one of the prisoners shackled in the cave and observing the light splaying shadows over the interior wall of the cave. He speaks for himself and the others shackled in the cave. (As you can tell, he's adapted to the daily life in the cave and shows ignorance to the outside world.) Please comment, guys. :) I'll take whatever you throw at me. (Questions, comments, concerns, etc.)

7 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the last few lines and how you said, "Thus forever, that I shall never leave my comfort zone." It showed the point of view you were getting to. Overall, great job!(:

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sonnet is very good. I love how it flows effortlessly into each line, it is so well done. I'm glad you took the time to write such a good sonnet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the view point you chose. Rather than write a sonnet summarizing the allegory you did something original. Very nice. Could you comment to my blog as well please?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LIKE IT KASIE!! But seriously...I really liked how you chose the point of view of the prisoners. :) Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woah.... deep, man, deep... great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very impressive, Kasie! I really, really love this. Who cares if it took a little too long? I'd say it was worth it. Your sonnet is great and I can't say I see anything wrong with it, and you know how much I love to point out problems, haha. Wunderbar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true. You DO like to point out problems. Thanks! :) And thank you all for your lovely comments!

      Delete