Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Socratic Seminar Thoughts


First off, I really wish that I had spoken up with today's seminar. The subject was interesting to think about and even though most of us had gone through this talk already in Sophomore year, we still had much to say about it. Now, I have to be honest, I was lagging behind and did not read the article from which we were supposed to read. However, that did not stop my thoughts when we began talking about our own opinions. Sure, I had a lot of thoughts but did I voice any of them? No, I didn't. I wish I had but I became frustrated with myself for not saying something. I had agreed with Beka most of the time and at some points I had disagreed with her, mentally, by agreeing with what Ashlie was talking about. There IS no wrong answer when it comes to your opinions. This is what I believe. It got me thinking about other countries and their beliefs when it came to voicing your own opinion. Even in the U.S we had that conflict during the Cold War when voicing out our ideas. But I want to contradict what Ashlie had to say with some history here. If there is no wrong answer to your opinion, then why are some people on this planet being punished for it? Your opinions can be found dangerous and threatening to others, which brings up what we were talking about during our seminar. Others will pounce on you if they believe your opinion is wrong. It happens. Dr. Preston knows how to intimidate others with his intellect, but that doesn't mean people should not join in on the conversation. I may sound hypocritical, but I know that expressing yourself is something not to be ashamed of. Anyway, we had some very fascinating ideas that I will most likely contribute to in our next Socratic Seminar.

No comments:

Post a Comment